Location: Denver, Colorado US
Job Number: 23684
POSITION SUMMARY: The Corporate Attorney will provide comprehensive legal counsel and legal risk analysis for HSS's business operations. This position will play a role in litigation of employment and liability-related claims. In order to be successful, the Corporate Attorney must have experience with general corporate law projects and/or litigation skills. The individual will thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoys working on a vast array of different issues on a day-to-day basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide day-to-day legal counsel on general corporate, contract, employment and compliance matters
- Act as a legal liaison between HSS and outside legal counsel for all outstanding litigation
- Complete first drafts of contracts and other corporate documents from templates, and the ability to create new ones from scratch when no templates exist
- Travel to appear in person at agency and court hearings, as well as mediations (approximately 20% of the time)
- Support business partners in negotiations with clients
- Oversee, conduct, and provide counsel on internal corporate matters, including sensitive investigations
- Advise senior management, Human Resources, and other personnel regarding employment law issues
- Monitor federal, state, and local legal developments and advise business partners on recommended compliance
- Support the legal department's overall goal of increasing organizational efficiency and achievement of business objectives in a manner that minimizes legal risk
- Contract negotiation and drafting
- Performs other duties as needed
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Juris Doctor from an ABA accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing in Colorado
- Must have at least 3 to 5 years of experience at a top law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Knowledge of California wage and hour laws preferred
- Some litigation experience beyond discovery work
- Solid contract drafting skills strongly preferred
- Experience in employment law preferred
- Extensive experience researching federal and state laws and case law
- Demonstrate a business-friendly approach to legal problem solving and be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear and concise practical advice as well as creative solutions
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interface effectively with all levels and keep relevant stakeholders updated
- Strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to use good judgement, discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to learn and retain information learned
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while using independent judgement and critical thinking
- Ability to spot issues, analyze, gather and summarize data, and solve problems effectively
- Consistent discretion, good judgment, and ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality
- Keen attention to detail
- Proficient using standard office software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader
- Ability to meet HSS's driving requirements and maintain a valid driver's license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
This is a full-time position. Work hours will vary depending on project deadlines and the needs of the company. Typical workweeks exceed 40 hours. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Environment may be fast paced and stressful. Approximately 20% local and domestic overnight travel is required and may include one or more of the following: Day and/or Overnight, by plane and/or car.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will spend approximately 75% of the time sitting and will walk or sit 25% of the time; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; occasionally the employee will stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Frequently engages in mental concentration, analysis, and formulation. Able to drive a vehicle.
HSS job descriptions are meant as summarization's only. They do not necessarily reflect all duties and responsibilities of a position.
HSS will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or any other status protected by law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Denver, Colorado US
Community / Marketing Title: Corporate Attorney
Requisition Number: 19-18277
EEO Employer Verbiage: